Well for the first month that the ice was off the lakes I somehow managed to lose more lures than fish landed. Probably one of the most difficult and frustrating beginnings to the season that I have ever had. I finally got my boat out in the water and that's when I regained my touch for catching this amazing game fish. As of now i think I am pretty close to breaking even with lost lures and landed fish. After this cold front passes through I will be able to launch the boat again and continue to land monsters. Even though I have only caught about 15 fish, I have landed a few monsters. This picture being of the most recent weighing in at 4 pounds 1 ounce and 20 inches long.
The story of this fish:
I recently raffled of a full day fishing trip that went for 60 dollars to a family of missionaries from New Zealand. The are trout fishing people and want to get into catching monster bass. The dad is pretty experience. The oldest boy is skilled but still needs a ton of practice and learning of new techniques. I took them to my secret spot where two years ago I caught my 6 pound 2 ouncer. We fish a few minutes and as i gave him my spots I fished around him to figure out what they were hitting. I through a black and blue chatter bait on the edge of a brush pile and as the bait hit the water a 19 incher smashed it. I had the kid come and fish the brush pile and the ones near it. Nothing was doing. We then move around the cove and i gave him the tree that i have caught many on before. Nothing doing again. to this point he has lost one of my spinner baits. I throw on another brush pile and land this biggie. I then take the lure of my pole and put it on his. 4 casts later he loses it, haha. we stayed another hour and he lost 2 more spinner baits. I realized that fishing that lake from the shore i need to bring crap lure and understand that to catch big ones i will lose at least two.
I bought 3 flies last night for bass. On the next calm day i will be trying to bring in a few bass on my fly reel. I hope to have a good story for you all.

Nice dude!!! Sounds like you lost quite a bit of money being a guide though. lol Too bad you didn't get a bit of that $60.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to finish up school and move so I can explore some new waters!!